Automotive Industry Cluster of Catalonia

Summary of the state of the automotive industry
December 2019. The automotive industry in Catalonia enjoys good health, despite the constant changes in the sector resulting from the state of permanent innovation it finds itself in. According to the report from the Cluster of the Automotive Industry of Catalonia (CIAC), contribution measured by revenue is nearly €24 billion (€23,842 million), or 10.16% of Catalonia’s GDP. The majority of this contribution is generated by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) with 55%. The parts subsector (Tier 1 and Tier 2) contributes the remaining 45%.

Compared to 2017, all three components have experienced growth. The largest increase has been enjoyed by OEMs with 4.9%, followed by Tier 2 manufacturers with 1.8%, and Tier 1 manufacturers with 0.8%. 

On the other hand, total impact and contribution of the industry to Catalonia’s GDP is €9,696 million, split between direct impact (66% - €6,422M -), indirect impact (22% - €2,157M) and induced impact (12% - €1,117M -). 

IMPACT ON PEOPLE: 143,000 JOBS

The automotive industry in Catalonia employs over 143,000 people. 39% are direct jobs (over 56,200 people), 54% indirect jobs (over 77,300 people), and 7% induced jobs (nearly 10,000 people). This means that throughout 2018, 4.2% of Catalonia’s workforce was employed in the automotive industry.

When looking at the split among the three industry components (OEMs, Tier 1 and Tier 2), we see that 76,000 work for automakers (OEMs), while 67,500 work in the parts subsector.

6 OUT OF 10 CARS RUN ON GASOLINE

Forecasts show that in 2040 around 30% of manufactured vehicles will run on an electric battery, 25% will be hybrid, 23% will be fuel cell electric vehicles, and 22% internal combustion vehicles. Despite this, the current fleet still looks markedly different. 62% of vehicles still run on gasoline, 28% on diesel, and 10% are hybrid or electric vehicles. 

On another note, Castile and León, and Catalonia, both occupy the first two places in vehicle manufacturing. The Castilians with 20.3% of overall production and Catalonia with 19.2%.  From there follow Galicia with 15.7%, Valencia with 14.6% and Aragon with 13.4%.

Share

Back to News